Thursday, December 4, 2008

Verbal Diarrhoea

Some of us are restrained, others have a filter missing in their heads. Worse still, is the case when the filter at the mouth is missing. Some like me, however, are in the unfortunate position of having lost that filter, either through slow, continuous erosion, or through sudden and painful dismantling procedures. Everytime something slips through the cracks (what normal people might call a "mouth" in everyday parlance), we're left painfully reminiscent of the time when a committee sat down in the head to review what went through and what didn't. Anyway, so much for filters and their absence thereof. Here's a list of things from personal experience that will leave you banging your head on the wall after you've let your tongue have a field day. Alternatively, it could be the person at the receiving end banging your head on the wall.
Disclaimer: This one's not for some of my more refined and literally inclined readers.
You're still reading? Boy, you do have a taste for scandal don't you? Fine then.
In no particular order,
  • You're with a girl you've hit it off nicely with and have intentions for (cruel or otherwise), and she smiles at you and asks, "So what are you doing after this?". NEVER say "Oh, I think I'm going home to sleep" especially when it's 3 in the afternoon. You'll be left with a few self-inflicted scars on your forehead within minutes of letting this slip through.
  • You see two of your friends fighting. You NEVER walk up and say "ladai judai maaf karo, (if some of you have heard the standard Gandhiji ko yaad karo version and are smirking thinking you know where this is going, you couldn't be more wrong), apni t*#ti saaf karo". Guaranteed to get you some juicy smacks around the torso region.
  • A girl looks to make you her agony aunt, and is cribbing about how distraught she is about a recent turn of events (anyone's guess what these turn of events was). I know as a guy this is a very annoying position to be in, but it still doesn't authorize you to say, "You know, one great economist J. M. Keynes said, "In the long run, we're all dead.", so why bother?". It will save you the trouble of being the agony aunt. In hindsight, the cost-benefit analysis on this one ends in the green.
  • Your long estranged friend tries to patch things up and asks you how it's possible to not make the same mistake again. The best way to jeopardize any chance of recovery is to come up with the legendary Siddharth Krishnamoorthy quote, "He who pukes once, knows not his capacity. He who pukes twice, is an idiot.".

I think I'm going to the workshop to get one of 'em filters right now.

8 comments:

Old soul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Old soul said...

Are we allowed to add to the list?...to YOUR list?!

anne said...

hahahahaha! really funny.. sp when u think that EVERYONE has done one of the listed things atleast once in their life...

Lithium said...

dude... you've done worse than that... c'mon.. dont be shy...

Wanderer said...

turns out...dude's right..but then there's things u can't say because this is a family blog :P

Sparkling Twilight said...

hey !!! LOL...keep it gng,these blogs of urs help me laugh out loud!!!! hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Aah...I completely understand what you are trying to say...

As if the face was not enough, my tongue has successfully driven away every female who through some form of mental aberration has tried to converse with me.
Shrey gems here include :

Cute female (looking at my name tag at an inter colg debate): Sooo u r frm bits pilani haan?

Me (miffed at lack of astuteness in d observation): Yes.

Cute female: hmm...I know a lot of guys dere.

Me: I am in first year. so i don't.

And I walked away.

I have never been able to fathom why I said what I did.

And demonstrating that I don't learn from my mistakes. The exact Same conversation next year, at the same competition, with a different and much hotter girl ended with me sayin "Good" and walking away...


First was verbal diarrhoea, second, verbal constipation :(

Wanderer said...

hehe u've told me this one shrey, first verbal diarrhoea..second stupidity