Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Inspiration Bubble

I've owed this post to a dear friend of mine for a very long time. A year and a half, to be precise. And I'm really glad that I'm finally in a position that I can pay my dues. So, Nikhil Patel, I hope you're reading, because you're the only reason I'm putting this one up. It's not going to be as funny as you might have once wanted it, but it's going to be as honest.

First up, why I decided to title this post thus. I think every story that involves a long protracted struggle seems somewhat like a bubble full of inspiration. The more severe the struggle grows and the harder the times get, the more the bubble expands, getting filled up with more inspiration. Thereafter, if you win, the story goes on to inspire many people, regardless of whether you ever intended to do so. If you lose, the bubble bursts. I titled this post and left it without text at a time when I felt like my bubble would burst.

A year and a half ago, I began to apply for a second Masters degree in the US. Everything was in the right place, the grades, the extra-curriculars, the research work; the whole drill. And when the first rejection hit me in the face two months later, I found myself so startled that I stood in my bathroom opening and shutting the door for about half a minute trying think what was wrong with it. It was about two days after that that NP first said the wise words, "first rejection pe ek post toh banta hai par". Back then it was decided that when I do get a decent admit, I'll write a post, panning Princeton (which sent me that first rejection). That didn't happen last year. Not one to forget to collect his dues, NP has time and again reminded me of my obligation. Ironically, I got in everywhere I wanted to get into, but no one gave me any funding. Not one to forget dues owed to him, NP has periodically reminded me of my obligation. So I decided to stay back last year, get some research done in the meantime and give this whole thing another shot. And what a great year it was. I probably had more fun than the rest of my years put together in this one year that I spent at home. So when it came around to applying again, I was confident I wasn't going to land up in the same situation as last year. Even if I did, I would have no regrets. And sure enough, as if to test my reaction, I landed up in pretty much the same situation.

It started off well. By March-end I had three admission calls and a waitlist at MIT (which I thought was quite something by itself). By April-end though, I was staring at a blank wall. With no funding from anywhere, I had nowhere to go, and the waitlist was my only hope. A week later, arrived an email with those dreaded words "Thank you for your interest" sitting right on top. That was how my rejection letter from MIT started- probably the most the inspiration bubble had grown in a day's time and perhaps also the closest it got to bursting. Two days later, I got an interview call for a scholarship. Turns out that in the middle of all this I'd taken a shot in the dark. I'd applied for a scholarship whose eligibility criteria had apparently ruled me out. I'd still taken a shot, what with wanting to throw the kitchen sink this time. By the time this interview call came, I had already gone up and down the mood ladder about a zillion times. But I decided to hold off on being a wreck for a short while and two rounds of interviews later, I now find myself at the receiving end of a a full scholarship to study at Stanford! It all went right down the wire, but it's a very hard-fought victory at the end of the day. The bubble shall live.

Right now, it's all relief and gratitude. To my family and all of my friends who've been with me through all of it, to those who've missed classes and dragged themselves in the blazing heat to the nearest tavern in times of need, to those who have encouraged me on long walks where I had no idea where I was going; a very big thank you! The greatest happiness for me lies in the fact that when I come across someone who thinks their bubble will pop, I can look them in the eye and tell them to stay at it, because it's only gathering more inspiration for those who'll look for it later.

4 comments:

Azeez said...

Congos!!! Awesome stuff S.K. :P

Ghazal said...

Aw.

I'm putting this on the reading list for stopping leaking taps :)

Swagz said...

Congrats Sid!! and once again an inspiring post....do let us know when you come here :)
Are you still chanting?

Wanderer said...

Thank you all! :)

@G: good idea! :) :)

@Swagata: Yes, I am :) I'll be coming around 1st week September :)