Saturday, January 23, 2010

Perceptions and Contradictions

Uncle SS left a few days ago. Uncle SS is also one with questionable secular credentials. Notice how calling someone un-secular is almost swearing now. I remember this episode of Boston Legal where someone sues Denny Crane because he tells them that they "don't sound black". Denny asks Allen whether saying someone sounds black is racist, to which Allan rather elegantly replies that it would be much more racist to say "someone sounds street or urban and mean they sound black". My point at the end of the day is that if you hate a section of people and typecast all of them under one bracket, and then expect others to agree with you, you'd better have a good explanation for it. I'm sure Uncle SS thinks of himself as a perfectly liberal and tolerant man. His well-to-do, affluent and highly educated sensibilities will find it too politically incorrect to realize his lack of tolerance. Living in denial about the same ensures a peaceful existence under one's skin.

Uncle SS has not lived in India for almost two decades now. I have met him on and off throughout that period and never have found myself informed or opinionated enough to actively engage in a debate with him. This time, however, things were different. If anything, the debate ended only because I realized there's no amount of logic that wins against one's emotional faculties. That's not a bad thing per se. But when the emotion is hate and exclusion, it's better to use mind over matter and suppress until one is thoroughly convinced of the truth of the matter. You see, Uncle SS is of the firm belief that everything is black and white. So much so that I might actually end up rechristening him Uncle Noir et Blanche. Everything he says, needs to be weighed on objectivity and needs to be enforced emotionlessly. There are cold, hard decisions to be made in life and emotions only drag you down. On a personal level, I might get myself to somehow agree with him- there are tough decisions to be made in life and sometimes you need to keep emotions out of these decisions. But when he extrapolates the same logic to tell me how India will never progress unless it stamps out the greys and starts seeing everything in black and white, I begin to flinch. We had a rather heated argument the other day on who to ascribe moral responsibility to, when a bribe exchanges hands. Uncle SS believes that as a citizen of the country (as a doctor, say), if I do my job correctly, I have no other moral responsibility to society. "It's a matter of free choice. No one forces you to take a bribe", he argues. I question Uncle SS' belief, saying that the person accepting the bribe may be in a dire financial condition and may not always be in a position to be able to make what Uncle SS might call a morally right decision when a carrot is dangled in front of him. Free choice is not telling a person that he's free to choose and then load the choice heavily in one direction. I'm not using this as an excuse to legitimize bribing and corruption. All I'm saying is that the moral responsibility cannot be passed on to one person in all cases without consideration. Probably never having been in such a situation himself, he cannot admit the existence of such a middle ground.

Uncle SS also returned rather traumatized from the Auto Expo. One of the things that traumatized him was this lady who was sweeping the floor at Pragati Maidan with a bamboo broom while there were Mercedes cars on display right behind her, complete with blondes and brunettes to add to the glamour. "The lady was stupid. What kind of an image of our country does this portray?", fumes Uncle SS. I smile feebly, simply because I realize that this is another argument that won't be won. It tells the world that there exist such contradictions in our country. Right here, a woman can continue sweeping in front of Mercedes cars worth millions, only to look up to be appalled by how skimpily clad the accompanying blondes and brunettes are. She knows she'll never be able to afford the car, but the sweeping of the floor atleast feeds her family, and that's all she's concerned about. It also tells the world that our country can survive (if not flourish) with contradictions like these. So I'd rather let them see it, rather than sweep it under the rug. After about two decades of being away and dealing with binary issues, has forgotten about the existence of the middle ground. One can't blame him; there are very few countries in the world that throw up as many contradictions in a single day as this one does. But to suppose that everything needs to be seen in black and white and the greys need to be stamped out is suicidal. The difference at the end of the day is that I find it quite amusing (beautiful, even) that we continue to function despite so many parameters to balance in every equation (something he might refer to as me having been sanitized to all of India's problems).

Let's face the fact- while that middle ground may create more factors to manage on a day to day basis, hence complicating problems and their solutions, that same middle ground is where people struggle every single day to make something out of their lives. The day you ignore that middle ground in this country, you begin to regress. The same regression which will be termed as true progress by Uncle SS and the like, simply because the white contains everyone who thinks like him, the greys cease to exist and the black (which has essential grown to swallow the grey), we simply turn a blind eye to and pretend it's not there. Democracy wins. Free choice prevails.

10 comments:

SS said...

Pre Script: Errata - as 'a' doctor not an doctor.

First off, let me say when I read SS, I thought you were referring to me. Of course I later realized that was not the case. However, I suspect that made me subconsciously root for Uncle SS.

As is bound to happen to people who spend too much time with Mohsin,you too have started considering issues in a manner that is too complex for it to lead to a successful solution to the issue at hand.

This post once again alludes to your sense of analysis of the bigger picture, a picture that includes ALL or at least as many stakeholders as possible, even though they may be minuscule or negligible in the context of the problem. But no, you have to have an all inclusive view even if it is to the detriment of reaching a solution of the problem. Classic case of missing the forest for the trees.

I can partially understand what Uncle SS sees and feels when he returns from a country that is far more progressive at least as far as standards of living are concerned. And I believe from what I read in your post that he means well for India, that he wants it to progress.

So when he criticizes the lady sweeping with a broom, the intent may have been to point out that the govt. hasn't gotten around to getting electric mobile sweepers even in a place frequented by people from all over the world rather than to berate the woman sweeping in front of everyone. That is the sense that I got from it and it is wonderful how different people can interpret the same thing so differently.

I am not for a moment saying that everything is black and white and the middle ground should be purged or submerged into the black. What my point is, and what I suspect Uncle SS's point is as well, is that sometimes you have to simplify the problem, reduce the variables, club some things together to reach a practical solution to the issue and move forward. It is like the interview question answering strategy where you start with the simplest solution and keep adding constraints as you go along.

But this is something that both you and Mohsin are very loath to do at all times and when people try to tell you this, you tend to look at him/her as a simple minded, nonsecular, politically incorrect ignoramus with a penchant for over simplification.

"His well-to-do, affluent and highly educated sensibilities will find it too politically incorrect to realize his lack of tolerance. Living in denial about the same ensures a peaceful existence under one's skin."
These lines have such overtones of condescension and dare I say contempt for your uncle that its sad and reflects poorly on you.
They betray the very same attitude that you accuse your uncle of, that you are so confident of you own version of the truth that you think that what others say must be fuelled by apathy or ignorance or as you insinuate in uncle SS's case, a bit of both.

Once again, let me say I am not advocating the expunging of the middle ground. At the same time, I see no need to celebrate it as you do in the last paragraph. Recognize it, yes. Celebrate it, no. Work towards minimizing it, yes.

Grazie.

PS-I have a feeling this is not the end of it! :)

Wanderer said...

Longest comment I've ever had Shrey. :) Let's take this point by point...

1) I anticipated a comment from you. I might go so far as to say that I expected it in a similar tone :)

2) Let's admit it. The problem is complex. To say it's simple would be living in exactly the kind of denial Uncle SS wants us to live in.

3) As far as the bigger picture is concerned, that is exactly what has to be taken into account for "progress" in the long term. You miss out a majority of the players for what seems like a good immediate solution to the "issue at hand" you'll end up regretting it soon enough.

4) When Uncle SS says "The lady is stupid" I think it's hard to miss what he's saying.

5)"His well-to-do, affluent and highly educated sensibilities will find it too politically incorrect to realize his lack of tolerance. Living in denial about the same ensures a peaceful existence under one's skin."
These lines have such overtones of condescension and dare I say contempt for your uncle that its sad and reflects poorly on you." - When I meet you in person, I shall share some of the things I couldn't put up in a public forum for propriety sake. I'm sure that'll address this one.

6) Why can you not celebrate the middle ground and why exactly is it entirely undesirable?

Wanderer said...

P.S: Thanks for pointing out the error! Honest typo... I had first written "an engineer". I changed the engineer to doctor and forgot to change the "an" to "a" :P

Mohsin Alam said...

I had no intention of being involved in this rather messy war of words, but was surprised at Shrey invoking me. Interestingly, I do not quite agree with Sidhharth, and Shrey here decided to assume what my position would be. All this has forced me to the conclusion that he knows as little about me as he knows about the issues around him.
I found the use of ‘middle path’ and ‘tolerance’ quite unfounded. Perhaps a better substitute would be ‘sensitivity’. One can never be tolerant of lots of things- poverty, corruption, terrorism, bigotry; but even while one disapproves of something, one has to be sensitive. And why is that? That is because in order to change something, one needs to understand it. One needs to understand why terrorism exists (which does not amount to justifying it) in order to prevent it. If the instances Siddharth adverted to reflected corruption and poverty, once can never be ‘tolerant’ of them, or strike some kind of ‘middle path’, but one must be sensitive to the factors giving rise to them, in order to cure them.
This is not complicating matters (as Shrey seems to suggest), but comprehending them fully. Frankly, taking things on face value is simplistic and silly. One must understand issues in their full complexity, and (agreeing with Shrey) some of us tend to look at those who do not do this as “simple minded… politically incorrect ignoramus with a penchant for over simplification”. But well…let me put it this way- Shrey! Despite this, I’m still quite fond of you!
Finally, I think there is an underlying discomfort with an ‘outsider’ criticising ‘us’ in Sid’s post. I personally think that feeling though understandable, is undesirable. ‘Uncle SS’ has the full right to criticise what he considers bad in India, and one cannot dismiss it. But that does not necessarily mean he is correct.

Wanderer said...

So this has now turned into a 3 way slugfest!
For one, very little of that comes from the 'outsider criticizing us' mindset. Like Mohsin said, he has every right to criticize, but that doesn't mean he's right. So basically the problem I have are the grounds and stream of thought that those criticisms are coming from are incorrect; regardless of whether it's an insider or outsider. Why I bring up the outsider point is because the train of thought is characteristically one that doesn't seem to be sensitive to the middle ground.

Again middle-path corruption tolerance is not something I'm professing. I'm saying you can't ignore that middle ground. That's where most of your population languishes.

SS said...

@sid: Completely understand the typo. Very well explained! :P
I should have written it in another comment so it could have been deleted later..but oh well...

point-by-point right back at you:

1. :) I should be sad that I am THAT predictable, but I'm not!

2.Admitting a problem is complex is different from treating as complex. You can agree that a problem is complex, simplify it for the sake of reaching a feasible solution and then keep tweaking it to take care of the complexities.

3. Agreed as long as you agree that increasing the scope of a problem unnecessarily is as bad as simplifying it to 'harmful' levels.

4. If that is what he said verbatim, then defending him becomes a bit more difficult, but not impossible. But I shall refrain from commenting further till you give me the inside scoop on the uncle on gtalk.

5. Above take cares of this.

6. Am glad you asked this.I do not believe that ignoring a part of the middle ground to make headway towards the solution is 'regression'. I think it is just pragmatism. The important thing is to move forward towards a solution, not to keep on harping on the complexities and to appease a gazillion different vested interests.

@Mohsin:

Boy do you catch on to the bait fast! :P

"All this has forced me to the conclusion that he knows as little about me as he knows about the issues around him."
- Personal attack.Classy!
But well…let me put it this way- Shrey! Despite this, I’m still quite fond of you!
-LOL!!Also, I hope the 'fondness' remains just that, if it does not disappear completely by the end of it.

"Interestingly, I do not quite agree with Sidhharth, and Shrey here decided to assume what my position would be."
-Absolutely false. I did not comment what your stand would be on this particular topic, rather I commented on your general tendency to discuss any problem by trying to expand it laterally so as to take it beyond the bounds of any rational/feasible..or any kind of solution for that matter.

Coming to the point about 'understanding' the issue in order to prevent it. Well, as everyone who knows you knows that you have purportedly read realms and realms of stuff on the Kashmir issue. In every discussion till date you have used the high-horse of you being a Kashmiri as well as throwing in the Shimla Agreement, Hurriyat is this, pre-independence Kashmir was that and what not, without EVER proposing a single solution of the Kashmir issue according to you. I suppose you have done the 'understanding' part well enough, but where is the move towards a solution? All your 'understanding' and 'sensitivity' to the issue is hot air as long as it does not lead to you atleast proposing a semblance of a solution to the issue. After all the books you have read, the trips you have made, the familial stories you have heard...how have you ever moved forward? Understanding is fine till the time it leads towards a solution to the problem. What you have done yourself and frequently try to bully others into doing is try to expand the scope of the issue laterally rather than focusing your energies in the forward direction. And anything that anybody says that is in a direction perpendicular to your chosen horizontal is anathema to you that brings out alternately, snorts of condescension, contempt and the snide personal jibe.

Please understand that I am agreeing with you when you say understanding the issue is important towards solving it. My point is you never get to the solving part, instead choosing to instate yourself in an unending spiral, going backward and forward till you tire the other person or exasperate yourself into 'suggesting' others to go read some far flung literature.

I think that is a waste of your considerable mental faculty. In your oppressive compulsive need to be politically correct you refrain from sticking your neck out while comfortably bringing down the guillotine on others who are bolder than you.

Back to you folks!

SS said...

After conversations with SID on other media, I confess uncle SS is indefensible.
Politically incorrect is one thing down right (communal+racist) is another.

Also, the conclusions that sid drew were based on conversations not covered in this blog which ultimately lead to the conclusion that Sid is indeed not headstrong in shooting his mouth off unlike some other people we know...Also that his feelings were pretty much justified.

Mohsin Alam said...

@ Shrey (and partly Sid)- Good. The discussion has come to some conclusion- where one side has accepted the story of the other side. I, of course, continue to be fond of you, Shrey. It seems I still have some fondness left for juvenile compulsions to argue.

Gathering from your posts, your ruminations here have less to do with Sid’s thoughts on the issue than on your misgivings about me. Your interest in coming up with a solution to the Kashmir dispute has excited me. This settles the conversation over our next dinner meeting at Culinaire. So I suggest you spare Sid’s blog for the time being.

Wanderer said...

Yeh to thoda anti-climax ho gaya! There goes our next dinner! If this is being settled over dinner, I demand that the dinner be indoors! It will be a long debate and I have no love for freezing myself to death while it unfolds!

SS said...

"Your interest in coming up with a solution to the Kashmir dispute has excited me."
-SUPER LOLLL!!!

N bhaai culinaire nahi plzzzzz!!! Saalon tum toh kamaate hue log ho phir yeh chindi panaa kyun?? lets sit at oye punjabi. saath mei CCD bhi hai fr dessert. wat say?!?