Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Large Hadron Rap

As a student of physics, I know this post is going to attract a lot of visitors from my community. I mean the physics community, not the Tam Brahm one, although one has to concede that there is a massive overlap. However, if you're from neither of the above two communities, fear not. This is going to be as entertaining for you (albeit in a disparaging sort of way) as anyone else. If you're a bully who would pick on geeks in school, now is the time to skip the next paragraph, because at the end of this post, lies true joy for you.

I was browsing through Youtube (again, in the absence of any constructive work) when I ran into this particular video. For the uninitiated, there is a particle accelerator called the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, Switzerland. The LHC was in the news a few months back when it was inaugurated. It is the single largest collider in the world and billions of dollars of taxpayer money were spent on it. The experiment became an object of both scientific and social speculation and questions were raised on whether we really needed to spend so much to discover what is called the Higgs boson when more than half the world really cared more about getting matter into their stomachs for the next meal rather than what it was made of at the sub-nuclear level.

This post isn't entertaining yet. This is the fun bit. As geeks, I think we've hit a new low. This why you should've stayed if you weren't from the community. Check out the video. Comments encouraged.


4 comments:

kriti said...

a) you took ages to find it. i was there before you.

b) for the uninitiated, explain LHC in terms of angels and demons! if they haven't read (guilty), they've seen.

Wanderer said...

Trouble is...I haven't read or seen it!

Kunjal said...

I'm going fibrous on this one...they said protons have no mass.It's been two years since i've done any physics,but i think my memory's right

Wanderer said...

I see you have heard this one more intently than me! I will look at this one again! It's weird that a set of such high level nerds would make such an elementary error!