Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Trysts with a Real Person: Dispatch 1

It's the end of my third day in Bremen, my first day at the first real job I've ever had, really speaking. At age 27, that's quite a love affair I've had with being in school. My body is still trying to figure out which part of the world it is in, after being taken 13 time zones forward and then 4 back in the space of a week. Coincidentally today is also the day Portugal, to put it mildly, got whipped by Germany. Therefore I have been surrounded by the sound of celebration. 

It's probably the perfect time to be in Europe - in the summer, while the greatest show on earth unfolds many miles away (its sketchy conscience notwithstanding). I've been watching cars driving around, proudly flying flags in support of various countries. I returned from work today and was working on the mountain of paperwork that I need to file to live here in peace for just a few months (they love their rules here), and I could tell each one of the four times Germany scored a goal just from the roar I heard.

Bremen has stood with its arms wide open for the first three days I have known it. The Germans, the (surprisingly large number of) French, the Brit, the Indian have all been nothing but downright lovely and hospitable. In under a day since I got here, I had new friends who I discovered knew my old friends. Throw a bunch of aerospace engineers in a small town and you can definitely call the world a small place. This real-person life feels rather different from the one I've temporarily left behind. I don't think I can complain. The city itself has all the trappings of a European town not the least of which is the signature river running underneath the cobbled bridge with rail tracks.  I've also noticed a lovely smattering of lawns and parks across the city - in plain sight and hidden away in nooks and corners. I hope to visit each one of them over the next couple of months.

Plenty of exploration to be done. Lots of writing to go with it. 

No comments: