Monday, March 23, 2009

The Closing Argument

The 4th IIT Delhi Parliamentary Debate (PD) ended (a success, I deem it to be) recently. As the event wound down to a close, and we handed out the awards to a group of gentleman who referred to themselves as "Baba Dal", I felt this deep (almost humorous) melancholy beginning to sink in. PD was my last debating activity in life. There would be no more arguing or judging arguments. Well, atleast with truckloads of money involved.


I started debating when I was in the tenth grade, some 8 years ago. My English teacher in school had coaxed me into it. Well, one never really needed coaxing to go to an all-girls school when one was growing up in an all-boys. I remember having won there, a hundred rupee note as my prize, and maybe some admiration from the ladies. From then on, there was no coaxing. Debating was all we were doing in school.


Then I entered college and found that people were practically making a living off their debating skills. Too intimidated to join the pool in my first year, I started in my second year. I have to admit I haven't won much, but debating's given me my share of stories to tell. I've met some great people, loathed many as well. It's taken me places, the most memorable being this one trip to Pakistan in my 3rd year of college.


It feels funny that I won't be debating anymore. But I also know that in due course of time I will let this feeling get time-averaged.


In the long run I know that the general order of the universe is intact. :)

No comments: