Tuesday, May 6, 2008

On The Virtue of Hard Work

Events unfolding in the last couple of weeks have sort of reaffirmed my belief in my disbelief of the virtue of consistent hard work (Commonly referred to as 'Fighting' and correspondingly, the individuals who practice this fast dying art as 'Fighters' in IIT). It is, of course, a separate issue that practically every situation in IITD thats unpleasant is referred to by some variant (English or otherwise) of the word 'Fight'. As lame as it might sound, the lingo is contagious beyond belief. Not very long ago, we had in fact a whole bunch of people over for the IITD Parliamentary Debate and needless to say, within three days, the word fight caught on and could be heard from every nook and corner one could find(mild exaggeration).
Anyway, coming back to the main story, if there's one thing this place has taught me over the last eight odd months, is to include the phrase "हो जायेगा!"(It'll get done) in my vocab. Most of the time we don't have the wildest clue how we're going to get things done, but then "It shall get done". And somewhere this sort of induces this amazing trait of procrastination into everyone who ever comes in contact with this emotion. Not that I wasn't lazy enough already, but the lazier the better I guess. So over the last one week I've been pondering, whats the use in scurrying around to get everything done and worrying about it endlessly when "हो जायेगा!" is pretty much there to rescue you everytime. In the words of a wise man whose son we'd appropriately named "Ice Man", who once told me "You may win the rat race, you'll still end up a rat". Quite reminiscent of what Lazlo Bane sing in their song 'Superman', "You crossed the finish line, won the race but lost your mind. Was it worth it after all?". The song's pretty much my anthem in life. For the last eight months, I've seen my classmates (One in particular) slog and drive themselves mad working only to be so stressed at crunch time that they had nothing left in them to perform. And in doing so, I've joyously celebrated the laziness in life. Atleast at the end of the day, I had fun on the way down. If I've gone up, thats an added bonus. Because ultimately things wind around to such a head that you do fear God and get off your rump to work. On D day, noone really cares much about when you put in the work or whether you were the wiley monkey or the burdened donkey. I worship the wiley monkey.
What am I doing now? My semester's over. There's still a lot of work to do. But...
"हो जायेगा!"

No comments: